These brownies are the perfect thing to bring or serve at a cocktail or dessert party. They meet all the criteria necessary for appropriate cocktail party eats:
- Can be eaten with one hand – check!
- Not messy – fudgey & rich, but no napkin necessary
- Approachable, but a little more special than the usual – the extra sugar topping gives them an edge on your everyday brownie
- Ample servings – this recipe makes a whole sheet pan worth of treats
3 1/2 cups sugar
8-ounces unsweetened chocolate (99% cacao – the higher the quality, the better)
6 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups flour
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Butter a 12 x 17 inch jelly-roll pan, then evenly dust with 4 T of sugar.
- Heat chocolate and butter in a medium saucepan over low heat until melted, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Beat eggs and remaining sugar in a large bowl until blended but not frothy.
- Stir in vanilla and, when no longer hot, the chocolate mixture.
- Stir in flour.
- Spread into prepared pan and bake for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle with come out clean.
- Allow to cool before cutting.