Casseroles get a bad rap. It’s such a shame, because they are a great meal option for the whole family. Most are easy to prepare, freeze and reheat well, and are pretty portable. This recipe is one of our all-time favorites. I’ve seriously made this more times than I can count. It’s so simple and yummy. The kind of meal that gets addicting and you end up craving on random Tuesday nights. If you made a resolution to cook more at home this year, I would definitely recommend adding this one to your repertoire. It’s cheesy and homey without being too heavy. It’s also a one-stop-shop for veggie, protein, and carb. Win for mom and fam!
Chicken & Broccoli Casserole
Adapted From Georgia Cooking in a Oklahoma Kitchen
2 cups cooked rice
3 cups cooked broccoli, chopped (can use frozen and microwave until thawed)
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 T lemon juice
1 10-ounce can condensed cream of chicken soup
3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
4 cooked chicken breasts, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spray a 9 x 13 x 2-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Spread rice in an even layer in dish, then top with broccoli.
- In a large bowl, mix together the sour cream, mayo, lemon juice, soup, half the cheese, salt, pepper, and chicken.
- Spread mixture on top of broccoli.
- Top with remaining cheese.
- Bake for 40 minutes and let stand for 5 minutes before serving.